Friday, June 25, 2010

Jack May be the Only Sparrow Left!


Recognize this kind of bird? When I was a child I use to see them in front of my house, in the garden, on my roof, even saved some of their chicks when they fell from their nest. They were quite annoying though. Coming into my house building nests. My father and I chased them all the time.There use to be a lot. But! Where have all they gone?

These few months, I just realized that my house does not have any nests of "Sparrows" anymore. Then I heard some news last month (I cannot recall the certain date) that in Su-Panburi province, there were tons of sparrows lying breathless on the dry floor. According to the news, scientists said that they are dehydrated due to the overheat. 
I have discussed about this situation with one of my colleagues; she is from Ayuttaya. She said that this situation also occurs in her province. In addition, this problem does not occur only in Thailand, it is a global issue. There is another assumption and conclusion in Britain for the cause of the endangered. The study by Dr Sainudeen Pattazhy, Associate Professor of  Zoology at SN College at Kollam found that the extinction of these "house sparrows" is mainly from urbanization.
These small birds are very sensitive to mobile phone's electromagnetic radiation. Meaning that in the urban areas of countless people having cell phones, the radiation from the phone may kill the birds.

As you can see, environmental problems such as urbanization and climate change impacts these small birds a lot, more than it directly does to human. But note that every animal has its duty and role in the ecology system. Though house sparrows does not seem to have benefits to human directly, they somehow do. 

There are still living house sparrows in Thailand, not all are dead by the heat and dehydration or electromagnetic radiation. Lets be concerned about things around us. We are still lucky to be able to live and continue harming the nature lets do something else than harming. 

3 comments:

  1. In my opinion, all species will become extinction soon. We cut a lot of tree more than previous. Most forest are destroyed in order to make city. when all kind of birds are not nest, they will migrate themself into the city. we can see at the electric wire tower, building and etc.


    I have news to share the fact of bird.Please find the link to read the news.

    http://www.clickorlando.com/print/8182571/detail.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nowadays, In international has manage about biodiversity a long time. Such as CITES convention , biodiversity convention and Ramzar treaty protect animals.We should have laws to protect animals. The only animals that may extinction.

    More in :www.cites.org/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please read this "Extinction" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extinction).

    Have fun !!!!

    ReplyDelete